Friday, March 4, 2011

Finally! Some "ME" Time! Now What Do I Do?

The day has finally arrived. I’ve waited all winter for it – dreamed of it, imagined it, and of course, it manifested. A day alone at the cottage! No guests, no kids, no spouse. Just me! Oh, the sweet quiet, the relaxed pace, the wonderful solace of just being alone!

Many of you know that I have spent every weekend this winter at the ski hill. So, the thought of having a day alone to myself with no schedule, no one to take care of and no deadlines was extremely appealing.

“I’m going to just stay in my pyjamas all day”, I tell myself. “Maybe I’ll read a bit, maybe I won’t. I’m going to have pancakes and whip cream for breakfast. I’m going to walk the dog on my schedule, not hers. Maybe I’ll watch a chick flick and just veg out. Maybe I’ll have a nap. It’s perfect!”

So, why doesn’t it feel perfect?

Here is the naked truth about how my day is unfolding:

I am no longer in my pyjamas. The dog has been walked (apparently she does have a schedule that can’t be ignored without involving a massive cleanup effort). I have changed the sheets on the bed (it had to be done, honestly!), called my mom and my best friend (I’ve neglected them the past few days), checked my blackberry, and made banana bread (I can’t throw out those ripe bananas, now can I?!?). I did have pancakes (no whip cream mind you), and now, here I sit, writing this blog post.

What is wrong with me??? Why can’t I slow down???

I have always been an on-the-go type of person, seldom stopping during the day. I’m highly organized. In fact, my friends joke with me that I organize them. Somehow, I believe that if I get it done today, the pressure will be off for tomorrow. Then, if I choose, I can relax tomorrow. So the question is why don’t I?

Am I going to let someone down today if I just kick back? Will you think less of me if I just take a day and be lazy?

The logical answer to these questions is an obvious NO – so what is the issue?

Is it because without action, I am alone with my thoughts, and I don’t like what I think? No, somehow that doesn’t feel right. I am getting much better at guiding my thoughts to ones that feel good when I think them, and so, I do enjoy my time alone.

I teach my clients to be selfish – but instead of the word selfish, I use the word “self-care”. And, I tell my clients that it is ok to be selfish and to practice self-care. I often site the example of travelling by plane with my daughter and how I am always instructed to place my oxygen mask on first before placing one on her – that’s pretty selfish isn’t it? But selfish equal’s self-care and I will be of no use to my daughter, or anyone for that matter, if I don’t care for myself first. When you are looking after yourself you feel good, and how you feel represents your point of attraction, which Law of Attraction is responding to. Again, logically I know that.

But, here is something I’m learning about myself. Self-care for me doesn’t necessarily have to be the day I first described in my post in order to be relaxing and rejuvenating for me. I do unwind as I putter, and walk, and bake, and write, and think – I do feel calmer. I do feel rested. I do feel better prepared for the week ahead. Even better, I feel a sense of accomplishment!

I have a belief that says, “In order to relax, I must do nothing”, but honestly, that’s not me – and I need to change that belief. It seems that my day alone has helped me to do just that.

How does it work for you? I know most of my friends don’t allow themselves much “down time”. Of course they don’t, for we attract to us what we are. Birds of a feather, as they say. But, I know there are those of you who find it difficult to get going. Tell me what works for you, and are you feeling good about it?

I’m going to stop writing now, and go relax, or maybe first I’ll just ……

5 comments:

  1. what I do for Me Time? I am one of those very lucky women of has absolutely no guilties about taking me time!! I ski, I hike, I walk, I workout... some might say that this isn't me time, that it's still work.. The truth is, for me, those moments are all about me! I don't have to take care of anyone else in that moment, I can lose myself in the freedom of movement that I love so much! Me Time - it allows me to be the best I can possibly be for my family, for my clients and for myself.. I'm all for Me Time - we should celebrate that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, it looks like you have learned this important lesson, quicker than I did. Good for you for taking time for yourself, acknowledging it, and appreciating it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noreen McGinnis CampbellMarch 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM

    Hi Marlene,

    I'm still working on what it means for me to relax and have fun. Some days it's a total P.J. and old movie day. At the end of those days, I'm rested but feel like I've wasted the day. Other days, it's a hike or pedicure or even just a trip to the library. I'm rediscovering what it means to have fun and relax and take time for me. Thank you for your insights and how we are attracting in this regard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a process isn't it Noreen ... and a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been a workaholic for so long I have no idea how to relax. I try but then I feel guilty and frustrated, so I just go back to work.

    I think relaxing that must be practiced just like anything else, to form a habit. When I dream of a perfect day, it includes doing nothing, but without the guilt. So obviously it is what I seek.

    I know several people that comment they wish they had my drive and the desire to work. They are the opposite. They have a hard time getting off the couch to get stuff done. It's whatever we practice that is doable easily.

    It might be painful at first but when I have time, I'm going to try practicing relaxing so it becomes a habit. I don't expect it overnight since I've been working way too much for 15 years. I just hope it doesn't take 15 to learn to unwind. My health and family depends on it.

    Thanks for bringing up the topic. I hope more of your readers will comment on their experience.

    Cheers,

    Tonya
    www.wholelottawhimsy.com
    www.tonyadavidson.com

    ReplyDelete